Concern in Gauteng over increase in GBV cases

The Keneilwe Pule murder trial begins today. The 27-year-old was raped, murdered, her body cut up and burnt - allegedly by her boyfriend last year. eNCA's Tshegohaco Moagi has more. Courtesy #DStv403

JOHANNESBURG - The Gauteng community safety department says it will continue to support families dealing with gender-based violence.

Ikhaya Lethemba says it's concerned as there seems to be an increase in gender-based violence cases in Gauteng.

"There are hotspot areas where these cases are more reported," said the organisation's Conny Ramathibela.

READ: Gender-based violence getting worse: activists

"In some stations, the cases are underreported but generally the increase is there."

Women in abusive relationships are urged to report the cases.

"Help is available," said Ramathibela.

READ: Ramaphosa condemns rise in gender-based violence cases

"Talk about it. Don't keep this to yourself."

Meanwhile, the Keneilwe Pule murder trial is expected to begin on Monday.

The 27-year-old was raped, murdered, her body cut up and burnt, allegedly by her boyfriend.

READ: Cele: No mercy for GBV perpetrators

Officials and members of the Sebokeng community visited the family this weekend.

* eNCA's Tshegohaco Moagi reports.

Source
eNCA

Paid Content