Two civilians dead in attack at Egyptian checkpoint

Africa
File: Egyptian army soldiers stand by as opposition protesters man a checkpoint. The violence was the latest in a series of attacks targeting military and security personnel in the desert peninsula since the army ousted Islamist president Morsi. Picture: GIANLUIGI GUERCIA

AL-ARISH - Two back-to-back attacks Wednesday on a security checkpoint in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula left two civilians dead and six people injured, a security official said.

The assaults were carried out by gunmen in the area of Sadr al-Hetan in central Sinai, the official said on condition of anonymity.

Those injured were three policemen and three civilians.

The civilian victims were driving in the area when the assaults occurred, the official said.

The violence was the latest in a series of attacks targeting military and security personnel in the desert peninsula since the army ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi last week.

Egypt's first democratically elected president was forced from office after protests by millions of Egyptians who demanded his resignation.

-Sapa

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Australia cruised into the gold medal match of the women's hockey at the Commonwealth Games on Friday with a 7-1 mauling of South Africa.
The Competition Commission has issued the final statement of issues that will serve as a framework for its market inquiry into competition in the private healthcare market.
The price of petrol will remain the same but the diesel price will go down, the energy department said on Friday.

TOP STORIES view all

A 20-year-old surfer has been airlifted to hospital after being bitten by a shark.
Israeli forces in the southern Gaza Strip are searching for a missing soldier they fear may have been captured by militants.
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) on Friday downplayed fears of suspected Ebola cases in South Africa.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close