14ct diamond swallowed

World
Police have recovered a R28,000 engagement ring that an American man allegedly swallowed during an attempted jewellery store theft. Picture: eNCA / Benita Enoch

Manchester, New Hampshire - Police have recovered a R28,000 engagement ring an American man allegedly swallowed during an attempted jewellery store theft.

Authorities charged 52-year-old Ronald Perley with theft and falsifying physical evidence after X-rays showed the 14-karat white-gold ring with princess-cut diamonds inside him.

WMUR-TV reports that police in New Hampshire had recovered the ring on Saturday.

Perley allegedly went into a shop on Thursday asking about engagement rings. Workers said he grabbed a ring, then swallowed it after being confronted.

Police said surveillance footage showed Perley taking the ring and putting his hand to his mouth.

-Sapa-AP

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

The California Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to hear an appeal by Michael Jackson's personal physician Conrad Murray.
Australia's ACT Brumbies and Waikato Chiefs trail the Sharks by six points after eight rounds of the Super Rugby championship.
Ernie Els hopes to get his season going at this week's PGA Zurich Classic after missing the cut at the Masters and struggling last week at the Heritage.

TOP STORIES view all

Private detectives investigating the murder of Anene Booysen say there's more to the crime than meets the eye.
The father of the three children who died in a London home -- allegedly at the hands of their South African mom -- was in Cape Town at the time of their death.
As SA celebrates 20 years of democracy, many communities countrywide are still without proper sanitation, access to water or a decent place to live.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close