Vuvuzela-bashing case on hold

South Africa
A fan storms the field and attacks referee Lwandile Mfiki with a vuvuzela during the Absa Premiership match between Golden Arrows and Kaizer Chiefs in April at the Moses Mabhida Stadium. Picture: Anesh Debiky/Gallo

DURBAN - Police have yet to obtain television footage showing an irate Kaizer Chiefs fan walloping referee Lwandile Mfiki with a vuvuzela, the Durban Magistrate's court heard on Tuesday.

Prosecutor Quintelle Gabriel told the court the case against Velaphi Mkhwanazi needed to be postponed while police obtained the television footage.

She said the case also had to be postponed while Mkhwanazi's co-accused Zenzele Zikali obtained Legal Aid, as his lawyer had withdrawn.

Mkhwanazi allegedly ran onto the Moses Mabhida Stadium's pitch and hit a referee with a vuvuzela after he sent off a player in a match between Golden Arrows and Kaizer Chiefs earlier in April.

The SABC televised the match.

Zikali also allegedly ran onto the field. The two are out on bail of R500 each.

Mkhwanazi faces a charge of assault and pitch invasion. Zikali faces only a charge of pitch invasion.

Magistrate Kubashni Dunn postponed the matter to May 17.

The Premier Soccer League has had issues with football hooliganism for many years.

In early April, Premier Soccer League’s head of communication Connie Motshumi mentioned that football hooligans could face a possible life ban from attending Absa premiership matches.

KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Sport Ntombikayise Sibhidla Saphetha also came out strong against football hooligans, adding that security at sports stadiums must be improved to curb such behaviour.

“We deplore hooliganism in the strongest possible terms and we will ensure that unruly elements in our stadiums face the full might of the law,” she said.

-Sapa

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

The Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) has received a complaint from the Economic Freedom Fighters after a party election advert was rejected by the SABC.
Nepalese guides on Mount Everest said they would abandon this year's climbing season to honour 16 colleagues killed in an avalanche last week.
The drunken driving trial of musician Arno Carstens is expected to resume in the Cape Town magistrate's court on Wednesday.

TOP STORIES view all

Game reserves have been asked to heighten their security in the wake of a blatant theft of 80 kilograms of rhino horn from the Tourism and Parks Agency in Mpumalanga at the weekend
Talks between Amcu and platinum producers are expected to continue on Wednesday. The crippling industrial action by underground workers have been going on for 13 weeks.
Divers penetrating a sunken South Korean ferry are feeling for children's bodies as they can only see a few inches in front of them.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close