Zuma on his way back from Congo
President Jacob Zuma was on his way back to South Africa from Brazzaville, Congo, after taking part in a meeting on the unrest in the Central African Republic (CAR), the international relations department said.
Spokesman Clayson Monyela said Zuma had left the country and was on his way back on Saturday.
The meeting was held on Friday and Presidency spokesman Mac Maharaj said a number of decisions were taken regarding the political, security and humanitarian situation in the CAR.
"The meeting called on the transitional authorities in the CAR to work with urgency towards the full restoration of constitutional order in that country."
The protection of CAR civilians, access of humanitarian workers to the people in need, the reactivation of the public administration and the restructuring of the defence and security sector was also discussed.
"President Zuma assured the meeting that South Africa stands ready to assist in whatever humble way to contribute to the return of the situation in CAR to normalcy," said Maharaj.
CAR president Francois Bozize was ousted by the rebels several weeks ago. Thirteen South African soldiers were killed and 27 wounded on March 23 when they were attacked by Seleka rebel fighters near the CAR's capital, Bangui.
A 14th soldier died in hsopital earlier this week.
During his meeting, Zuma also discussed bilateral issues and the need to further deepen social, economic and political relations between the two countries.
State Security Minister Siyabonga Cwele was among the delegates that accompanied Zuma on his visit.