Suspended Vavi clears office

South Africa
Johannesburg, August 15 – Suspended Cosatu General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi has spent the day clearing his office. The federation's Central Executive Committee has placed him on special leave. eNCA

JOHANNESBURG - Suspended Cosatu secretary general Zwelinzima Vavi has spent the day clearing his office.

The federation's Central Executive Committee has placed him on special leave.

After the CEC stripped him of all his duties, he faces charges of misconduct.

Vavi has admitted to having an affair with a junior staff member, who has also been suspended.

The federation has also rejected claims the procedure was unconstitutional.

Cosatu president Sdumo Dlamini said, "Did the meeting discuss the complaint of other affiliates whether this was convened properly or not? The answer is yes, and the meeting indeed agreed that it was properly constituted."

Dlamini has denied claims of a political conspiracy, saying, "This one cannot be. It just cannot be. And everybody keeps repeating that lie saying the claims of a political conspiracy detract from the severity of the alleged sexual misconduct."

Cosatu deputy president Zingiswa Losi said: "Once you begin to do that, you trample on the rights of that alleged victim. You take away her dignity, you strip her naked and you put political issues on processes that you are not even sure of yourself."

Cosatu is adamant Vavi's suspension will not affect its campaigns, including those against Gauteng's e-tolls and labour brokers.

It has also rejected claims the federation could split. 

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Members of an Afrikaner group view forthcoming talks with the government as a step closer to their "right for self-determination for our own people in a peaceful way".
President Jacob Zuma repeated his call on Wednesday for a ceasefire in Gaza. EFF leader Julius Malema also condemned the violence in the region.
US veteran DaMarcus Beasley, has signed with Major League Soccer (MLS) team Houston Dynamo, the MLS team announced on Wednesday.

TOP STORIES view all

The bodies of the first victims from a Malaysian airliner shot down over Ukraine last week arrived back in the Netherlands on Wednesday amid dignified grief tinged with anger.
A suicide bomb on Wednesday in the northern Nigeria city of Kaduna killed at least 25 people, police said.
The charges were laid after members of the EFF stormed the Gauteng Legislature on Tuesday and damaged property.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close