Sanral stopped in its tracks

South Africa
The Western Cape High Court has put the brakes on planned toll roads in the province. The court has granted the City of Cape Town an interdict halting construction, but only until a review takes place.
The Western Cape High Court has put the brakes on Sanral's planned toll roads in the province, after objection from the City of Cape Town. Picture: Werner Beukes

Cape Town - The Western Cape High Court has put the brakes on The South African National Roads Agency's plan to turn two highways into tolled roads in the province.

The court granted the City of Cape Town an interdict halting construction on the N1 and N2 highways. But, today's victory is only until a review of the scheme takes place.

The City of Cape Town wanted Sanral to justify its decision to construction the toll, pending which, it wanted the court to grant an interdict to halt all contruction.

The DA led, City of Cape Town told the court that the project would place a massive financial burden on both businesses and residents across the city.

Sanral however, said the decision was not an impulsive one and that all relevant parties had been consulted prior to work on the tolls commencing. 

 

-eNCA

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Celebrities, the public and animal organisations are incensed by the death of a giraffe who was killed after hitting its head on a bridge on the N1 near Pretoria on Thursday.
Sandton City has upgraded security installations after a shop assistant allegedly had her throat slit by two armed suspects, while on her way home.
Mmusi Maimane of the Democratic Alliance has criticised the Economic Freedom Fighters' stance on expropriation and nationalisation saying "these policies do not work."

TOP STORIES view all

Israel and Hamas agreed on a 72-hour ceasefire beginning on Friday, alongside a diplomatic push for a more durable end to the bloodshed, after 25 days of bloody confrontation.
A series of powerful gas blasts killed at least 24 people and injured up to 271 in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung.
An international probe into the downing of flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine inched forward on Thursday as experts risked attack to reach the site for the first time.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close