Rashied Staggie a free man

South Africa
Former gangster who was jailed on a rape conviction and burglary, has been granted parole by the Breederiver parole board. Picture:

Cape Town - The Breederiver parole board has granted former gangster Rashied Staggie day parole, the Western Cape department of correctional services said on Tuesday.

Staggie, who was sentenced to 13 years' imprisonment in May 2004, would be allowed to spend his days outside prison from September 23, spokesman Simphiwe Xako said in a statement.

Staggie would have to return to a halfway house or correctional centre at night, until his release on full parole on March 25 next year.

The Bellville Regional Court convicted Staggie for a burglary at the Faure police armoury.

The magistrate ruled that his 13-year jail term run concurrently with a 15-year sentence, handed down the previous year in the High Court in Cape Town, for a rape conviction.

Xako said the parole board considered a number of facts of relevance to the case before making their finding.

These included that Staggie had positive support systems and had demonstrated his good behaviour, having had no disciplinary offences.

Staggie had completed a number of required programs and had served more than two-thirds of his sentence.

The board also took into account that Staggie's accomplices had already been released.

The parole board's recommendation was that Staggie be subjected to "normal strict parole conditions under high risk supervision", including electronic monitoring.

His parole was conditional on him not contacting victims of his crimes.

"On first gang-related violation whilst under supervision he must be referred back to the centre for reconsideration of his parole and Community Corrections must [annually] provide the Parole Board with a status report on his behaviour on during the parole period."

Staggie would serve his term of parole under Cape Town's community corrections.

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela is holding a media briefing following the war of words between her and the ANC.
An inquiry into a house collapse which killed seven people in Alberton will begin in October, the labour department has said.
The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) has dismissed President Zuma's appeal against the release of the so-called "spy tapes" and other records with costs.

TOP STORIES view all

The South African Weather Service has released fresh warnings of bad conditions across the country.
Ebola death toll passes 1,500 as regional crisis talks begin.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela is expected to hold a media briefing today following the war of words between her and the ANC earlier this week.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close