Mthethwa visits Marikana victims' homes

South Africa
North West, August 13 – It’s almost a year since 34 striking miners were killed by police at Marikana. With two Lonmin workers killed in recent days, police are asking the community to help stabilise the area. eNCA

It has been almost a year since 34 striking Lonmin miners were killed by police in Marikana. And the killing hasn’t stopped. Police minister Nathi Mthetwa has visited the homes of two Lonmin workers who were killed in recent days.

On Monday, 44-year-old NUM shop steward Nabongile Madolo was gunned down in broad daylight, outside her yard. Community members say they fear for their safety.

27-year old Mncedi Mabhulu's body was found lying on the streets of Marikana West on Saturday night. The cause of death is unconfirmed.

"We do believe that the third element took advantage of what happened last year and they've terrorised the place," said local priest Sakhumzi Qiqimama.

NUM shop steward Peterson Siyaya says that union members are being targeted. "Anyone that seems to associate himself with a peaceful union NUM is being brutally killed.”

But rival union Amcu says police only respond when NUM members are killed.

"When there's an Amcu member whose been shot, there's no harassment, there's no raid, there's nothing,” Amcu member Joseph Mathunjwa said.

The police ministry has called on the community to be involved in efforts to stabilise the area.

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Nigerian military authorities have admitted that most of the 129 girls kidnapped by militia last week are still missing.
The United Nations said on Friday at least 58 people were killed and more than 100 others wounded in an attack against one of its bases in South Sudan sheltering civilians.
Algerian officials say President Abdelaziz Bouteflika has won a fourth term in office with a landslide 81 percent of the vote.

TOP STORIES view all

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has lashed out as Europe's "homosexual nonsense" as the country celebrated 34 years of independence from Britain.
Media reports suggesting that Dr Reggie Perumal has withdrawn from the defence team are devoid of all truth, Oscar Pistorius's legal team said in a statement.
South Korean prosecutors sought arrest warrants on Friday for the captain and two crew members of the ferry that capsized two days before with hundreds of children on board.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close