Land reform claims settled

South Africa
Almost R1 billion in financial compensation was paid to land claimants in the last financial year, the department of land reform said on Monday. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - Almost R1 billion in financial compensation was paid to land claimants in the last financial year, the department of land reform said on Monday.

The department paid R993,145,949 to people who lodged land claims between 1994 and December 31, 1998, spokesman Mtobeli Mxotwa said in a statement.

There were 602 restitution claims settled during the financial year, starting April 1 last year and ending March 31 this year.

Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti said land claimants had the options of seeking restoration of their own land, alternative land or financial compensation.

The highest claim paid was R93 million to a community in Siphaqeni, in Flagstaff, in the Eastern Cape.

Individual claimants received an average of R54,000 in compensation. The claims related to 195,967 hectares in the country's nine provinces.

The land claim process is aimed at providing compensation for communities forcibly removed from their land by the colonial and apartheid governments between 1913 and 1994.

Mxotwa said that in most cases families used financial compensation to improve their living conditions by sending their children to school and renovating their houses.

-Sapa

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Tshediso Matona, DG of Public Enterprises has been placed as the new head of the country's flailing state-owned energy company.
At least 36 people, including several children, were killed in Japan when landslides triggered by torrential rain slammed into the outskirts of the western city of Hiroshima.
The mother of American journalist James Foley, apparently executed by Islamic State jihadists, on Wednesday paid tribute to her son.

TOP STORIES view all

Frustrated ratepayers are receiving inflated bills for differing reasons, and are battling to get fair treatment by the City of Joburg.
The construction company involved in renovating a house that collapsed killing seven people in Alberton, will contribute to the funerals of those killed.
A five-year-old girl from Pretoria screamed so hard during a hijacking that the robbers stopped the car and ran away, Beeld newspaper reported on Wednesday.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close