Guptas respond to jet saga

Johannesburg - The Gupta family would co-operate with investigators in the jet saga which received widespread criticism this week, a family spokesman said on Saturday.

"We have and will continue to co-operate with the investigators in the interests of the full facts being brought to the fore in this matter," said Gary Naidoo in a statement.

"We stand by our position....[and] believe it is in the best interests of the process for the investigations to be completed before we make any further comments."

Naidoo said the family had been inundated with phone calls since the announcement by Justice Minister Jeff Radebe on Friday.

Earlier this week, the family said it had not been directly involved in the Waterkloof incident, but had been assured by the Indian High Commission that proper processes were followed and agreements reached with the appropriate officials.

Radebe announced that five high ranking officials and military personnel had been suspended over the unauthorised landing of a jet chartered by Gupta family at the Waterkloof Air Force Base - a national key point - on Tuesday.

Radebe said the landing was not cleared by proper authorities.

It was carrying guests to the wedding of Vega Gupta, 23, to Indian-born Aaskash Jahajgarhia at Sun City, North West. The Guptas own The New Age newspaper and Sahara Computers.

The jet was moved off the base on Thursday afternoon, amid widespread criticism.

SECTIONS Top Stories South Africa Africa World Money Sport Life Technology Opinion
SHOWS Africa 360 Against All Odds CheckPoint Chester Missing Earth Watch Late Nite News Maggs on Media Tech Report The Justice Factor Winners and Losers
ABOUT About Contact Work with us News Team Privacy Policy Press Releases Licensing Discussions Policy Advertise on eNCA.com
WATCH US ON Livestation DSTV 403 e.tv africa Sky eNews Prime Time eNuus Kyknet
FOLLOW US ON Youtube