Stolen social grants

South Africa
KwaZulu-Natal, April 21 – Mzwemphi Zuma, 62, .a distant relative is cashing in his pension pay-out while he lives alone in the rural village of Mkhomazana outside Underberg, KwaZulu-Natal. eNCA

KWAZULU- NATAL – Mzwemphi Zuma has fallen prey to alleged social grant fraud.

The 62-year-old has been left abandoned in the rural village of Mkhomazana outside Underberg, while a distant relative allegedly spends his pension pay-out.

The Department of Social Development has gone on a massive drive to re-register social grant beneficiaries in an effort to flush out fraudulent claims.

But this campaign has brought no relief to Zuma, whose was allegedly re-registered by his family and later abandoned.

He says a distant relative by the name of Madlala is allegedly robbing him of his monthly pension grant.

When Zuma goes to collect his grant, he claims they scan his fingers and then give Madlala the money.  Madadla then departs with the money, leaving him with nothing

Zuma has survived purely on the mercy of community members who have been offering him food.

The Social Development department had hoped that its drive to re-register at least 11 million grant recipients would have eradicated such situations.

But Zuma's case seems to be one which has fallen through the cracks.

The department says it is fully aware of his plight and is investigating.
 

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Over 500 racism-related cases have been reported to the SA Human Rights Commission in the past year.
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he told former team-mate Luis Suarez he was "too good" to join Arsenal when the north London club came calling for him last year.
Business has returned to normal at the Southern Centre Mall in Bloemfontein after staff and customers were evacuated following a bomb threat on Thursday morning.

TOP STORIES view all

Former head of the NPA's Integrity Management Unit lays bare the 'Zuma camp' and the 'Zille camp'.
Former officials at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission say it’s time to release former Apartheid-era assassin Eugene de Kock on parole.
The High Court in Pretoria reserved judgment in an application by two Transnet pensioners to sanction the institution of a R80-billion class action against the parastatal.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close