'Modimolle Monster' set to step on witness box soon

South Africa
Johan Kotze is accused of killing his stepson and orchestrating the gang rape and torture of his wife. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

Prosecutors are preparing to lead the last of their evidence against Johan Kotze, a man referred to by many as the Modimolle Monster.

Kotze is accused of murdering his stepson, 19-year-old Conrad Bonette.

He is also also accused of orchestrating the gang rape and torture of his wife, Ian Bonette.

These incidents allegedly occurred in Kotze’s house in Modimolle in 2012.

The accused has fired his defense advocate after Bernhard Bandjies suggested his former client may have been suffering from temporary insanity.

But it remains unclear if the accused’s new advocate will persist with that argument.

Kotze’s co-accused Andries Sithole, Pieta Mohlane and Frans Mphaka said Kotze threaten to kill them if they did not rape his wife.

But the trio has denied that they were physically able to carry out the rape.

Crime scene photos show the bed where Bonette said she was sexually and physically tortured for hours.

She has testified that the men raped her and they did nothing when her estranged husband mutilated her.

Kotze’s lawyers previously argued that Bonette’s body showed little signs of being mutilated.

The lawyers suggested that the woman had exaggerated her injuries.

These claims forced the state to call medical experts to the stand.

Prosecutors are expected to close their case after that testimony and that is when Kotze will finally have his chance in the witness box.

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

A blast has rocked a bus station in the north Nigerian city of Kano, witnesses said.
Patricia de Lille had a difficult time under arms deal cross-examination on Thursday and could not answer many of the questions posed to her.
President Jacob Zuma hit back at his critics during the debate of the Presidency’s budget vote.

TOP STORIES view all

South Africa collected its first Commonwealth Games 2014 medal on Thursday.
The death toll soared to 777 on Thursday after an Israeli shell slammed into a UN-run school where hundreds of civilians had taken refuge.
Seventeen people, including 10 tourists from the US, the Netherlands, Canada, Germany and Switzerland were injured in a collision in Mpumalanga on Thursday.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close