Obama to make statement on Egypt

Africa
US President Barack Obama (L) shakes hands with onlookers in front of Nancy's Restaurant in Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts on the island of Martha's Vineyard on August 13, 2013. Picture:

WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama will make a statement on Egypt on Thursday, the White House said, as the death toll after a crackdown on protesters there rose to more than 500.
 
The White House said Obama, who is vacationing on the Massachusetts resort island of Martha's Vineyard, would make the statement at 10:15 am (1415 GMT).
 
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday called the violence "deplorable" and called on the Egyptian military to organise elections.
 
But the White House has so far not commented on calls for it to cut the annual $1.3-billion in US military aid to Egypt.
 
The New York Times and the Washington Post, attacked Obama's handling of the crisis in editorials Thursday, calling on the president to cut military aid.
 
The Post said the administration's failure to do so earlier made it "complicit in the new and horrifyingly bloody crackdown".
 
*This article has been updated to include comments from US Secretary of State John Kerry, as well as The New York Times and the Washington Post.

 

-AFP

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Chelsea's title ambitions suffered a major blow with a shock 2-1 home defeat by bottom side Sunderland.
Mamelodi Sundowns extended their lead at the top of the table to six points with a 1-0 win over Moroka Swallows.
An on-target Golden Arrows defied the sceptics who claimed they were already doomed for relegation from the Premier League when they beat Platinum Stars 4-1.

TOP STORIES view all

Divers on Saturday retrieved the first bodies from the submerged South Korean ferry that capsized nearly four days ago, marking a grim new stage in the search and recovery process.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and other religious leaders led a protest to parliament on Saturday to speak out against poor leadership.
As another body is found, authorities have ruled out hope of finding any more survivors from the deadliest accident on Mount Everest.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close