Egypt restricts privatisation

Africa
Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi has banned the privatisation of state firms. Picture: Reuters

EGYPT - President Mohamed Morsi has said his government will no longer privatise state firms, in a break with a policy launched in the 1990s by his ousted predecessor Hosni Mubarak's regime.

"There will be no more sale of the public sector, that is finished and we will no longer do away with workers," he said in a televised May Day speech before workers in Helwan, south of Cairo.

"Encouraging the private sector and private investments does not mean an alternative to the public sector, which must be developed," said the Islamist president who was elected last June.

"The public and private sectors complement each other," he said, vowing to inject investments and a "new vision" to state enterprises.

A privatisation programme launched in the 1990s resulted in large scale job losses.

The courts returned some of the firms to the state following alleged corruption in sales operations.

A halt to privatisation raises fears over foreign investments, which have already collapsed due to insecurity in the wake of the 2011 revolution which toppled Mubarak.

In economic crisis, Egypt's foreign currency reserves have plunged to $13.5 billion from $36 billion in the past two years, key tourism revenues have declined and the budget deficit has widened.

Talks between the International Monetary Fund and Egypt on a $4.8 billion financing programme have bogged down, with the global crisis lender saying Cairo has to show its commitment to a broader reform plan.

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Western Province remained unbeaten in the 2014 Currie Cup after a 27-14 win over the Golden Lions. Bulls beat crafty Kings in their first match of the competition.
Joburg’s best known architectural landmark has now been immortalised in a book.
Families hiding infected loved ones and the existence of "shadow zones" where medics cannot go mean the West African Ebola epidemic is even bigger than thought.

TOP STORIES view all

The owner of Satinsky 128, the company taken to court over the R699 car sales scheme, wants to sue WesBank for R20-billion, Beeld reported on Saturday.
A 37-year-old South African who tested negative for Ebola earlier this week remains in hospital.
It's been another explosive week in Parliament with Julius Malema and his EFF MPs directly challenging President Jacob Zuma over the Nkandla scandal.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close